Monday, March 19, 2012

Gotcha Day

Wow! The last 2 days have been a whirlwind!!! We’ve had minimal sleep and tons of activity. I’ll write more about Beijing when we have more time, but I know that many of you are so longing to meet Quinn (like I was!!! :))

So this am we got up at 4am, and took a flight to Taiyuan, the capital of Shanxi province. After settling into our hotel and getting paperwork in order with our guide, we were taken to the Civil Affairs office. Compared to the Civil affairs office in Guangzhou, an overwhelming experience in which many, many children were being adopted, this was a much more calm atmosphere with only 1 other family there. Quinn immediately took to Monte, especially as I was busy with paperwork and asking questions of the orphanage director, while she was available! Monte is the super-dad, today, as Quinn didn’t really want much to do with me!! (From what I’ve heard, this is common for several days after adoptions, so I’m not worried about it. True “attachment” requires a much longer period of time building trust and love!)

Quinn has been called “Hai-Hai”, and is, of course, precious! So far, he has been pretty quiet and content. He’s not quite as energetic as Zane J, but he certainly could hold his own with a ball! He’s had fun giggling with Monte, and very few cries (and those were understandable and easily soothed.) Unlike Zane, He did NOT like the bath! No bubbles for this boy. We ended up taking him out of the tub and finishing in the sink, but that didn’t really seem to help much. He calmed down once we got him out. I’m guessing he may never have been in a bathtub before. He did let me get him ready for bed, and he fell asleep before the first lullaby was over. That was also NOTHING like Zane, even now!! How wonderful it will be if it continues this way!!!! He came to us bundled up in several layers of clothing, as it is very cold here and even colder in Datong (it was snowing this am!) I thought he was a little on the chunky side, until we got all those layers of clothing off, and I saw that he is smaller than he first seemed!!

We got to skype with Zane, LaoLao, and Papa Bruce tonight, so Zane could meet his new little brother. Quinn has been very interested in our pictures of Zane, and is even saying “brother!”

Well I’ll get on to pictures, as we are getting up super early again in the am. We have about 8 hours of driving tomorrow to Datang City to get permission from the police department to issue his Chinese passport. We’re hoping to see the orphanage, but it may not be possible due to an 8pm curfew for certain highways. Either way, it will be another long day!

We are so thankful and blessed to be parents to this sweet little boy. God is so good!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations! He is a handsome young man and we're all excited to meet him. Prayers for everything to continue to go well and safe travel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations!!

    he looks very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesomeness. This is great news indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carmen and Monte, he is precious!! Can't wait to meet him in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! I have cold chills! Congratulations and can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my! My heart is so filled with joy for your family. Quinn is adorable, and I can not wait to meet him. What a wonderful blessing for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is truly wonderful, and a miracle that you could be connected to your son when you were separated by half the globe! God is so very merciful. Can't wait to celebrate Easter resurrection Good News with the four Oitkers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Filled with joy for you, Monte, and Zane! Can't wait to meet the new addition to Williamsburg Drive. Prayers for you all!

    Love,
    Travis

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you guys and for Quinn! We can't wait to meet him and have all of you home. Best,
    Max

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweetie!!!! I'm so thrilled for you and can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete